Wednesday, April 27, 2011

#1: Welcome!

First and foremost, I would like to welcome YOU to my new blog entitled Shooting on Pro-Wrestling: Past, Present and Future. Over the next little while, I hope to write many blogs on different topics in pro-wrestling concerning the past, the present and the future. I welcome all comments, both good and bad, pertaining to my blogs. I also encourage YOU to generate pro-wrestling topics that I can write about, and that WE can discuss, in my blog. The ultimate goal of my blog is for me to show respect to the business that I have grown to love, and to present ways in which I feel the industry can be improved upon today!


In 2001 and 2002, the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) produced "Desire Videos" for many of their top superstars. These videos showed the sacrifices that each superstar gave in order to provide an entertaining product for the fans. The first lot of these videos used the song My Sacrifice by Creed. On the January 28th, 2002 edition of WWF Monday Night RAW, a new video was aired, but this time, instead of highlighting one particular superstar, the entire World Wrestling Federation (WWF) was the focus. The desire video was entitled WWF Desire: The History of the WWF. I believe that the main reason for this video was to celebrate the huge victory that Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) picked up over Shane McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, Paul Heyman and the World Championship Wrestling/Extreme Championship Wrestling (WCW/ECW) Alliance at the Survivor Series in 2001. This victory, which was scripted of course, meant that Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation had won the war, and that both promotions which made up The Alliance - World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) - were now officially dead. I have posted a YouTube link of this video at the bottom of this blog for those who have never seen it and for those who wish to watch it again. The song used for this video is Lonely Road of Faith by Kid Rock. At the beginning of this song, Kid Rock provides an inspirational quote...
If it looks good, you'll see it;
If it sounds good, you'll hear it,
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it;
but... if it's real, you'll feel it.


In closing, I just want to say that I really like this quote because I feel it has a double meaning with the industry today and with my blog. If the current product looks good, sounds good and is marketed right, then more people will watch the product, talk about the product and spend money on the product thus increasing revenue. If this happens, the industry will find itself going through what's called a boom period. I feel that the same can be said about my blog, that if what I say is interesting, controversial (Controversy Creates Cash, right Eric Bischoff, haha) and real, then you'll enjoy reading it and you'll constantly be checking back for updates! (:



2 comments:

  1. Actually Billy, you are wrong in this case. This particular WWF Desire video was "storyline created" by Ric Flair after Vince McMahon announced that he had signed the nWo to come in and destroy the WWF. So, Flair had this video produced to help sway Vince's mind

    I am posting a clip of the aftermath of this video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwKoAsboHy8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dale for the correction. It's been awhile since that desire video was created and I simply mixed up my facts. Either way though, I hope that you, and everyone else who reads this blog, will be excited to read the blogs that I write in the future. Also, for anyone who visits this site and is interested in reading other wrestling blogs, I ask that you take a look at one of my buddy's blogs. It can be found at this link: http://gorillaposition.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete